Friday, April 20, 2007

Come Ride With Us...on the Bus!

Choices, choices, choices....
The 65 is the one for me!
Nice view, TV and a place to sit.
No Fast Food! No Durians! No hands with little papers in them!
Ah - Harbour Front, Adieu number 65!



What a pleasure it is not to have a car! Although I must admit that I miss driving I have to say that I don't miss the traffic and parking woes.

Here in Singapore where a drive around the entire country takes about an hour there is need for a set of wheels. That is also coupled with the fact that even the cheapest, tiniest car here goes for over S$30,000.00 (about $20,000 US) and it is a Chinese made Chery QQ (basically a cute tin can with a go cart engine). http://www.cheryglobal.com/qq.htm. Most normal cars are closer to $100,000 or more. So we mostly take taxis http://www.comfort-transportation.com.sg/main.asp, the MRT (subway) http://www.smrt.com.sg/trains/routemap/routemap.pdf and the bus.

I alternate between the MRT and the bus on the way in to work. The MRT is faster and the crowd is a bit hipper and better dressed. The station is only about a block and a half from home and the station closest to the office is about a block. Problem is you usually have to stand up and you have to change trains. I don't mind this as it gets me a little exercise and the change is in a nice cool (temperature cool) station but I need variety. The bus is a straight shot from close to the house to close to the office and as it is a double decker it affords a nice overhead view of the route. The bus also carries a more of the real people - construction workers, students, office workers and old Uncles and Aunties. I am usually one of the few, if any, Western faces on the bus.
Anyway the 65 is a great bus. It goes from my neighborhood to my office (also home to the newest biggest mall - Vivo City) and in the other direction it goes to Little India, home of Tekka Market and all things Indian. I grab my seat in the upper deck and catch up on the news, email and also get a view of the route to the office. I have to make sure to follow the rules - no eating, smoking, bare feet, fighting or carrying durian! The durian is the extremely stinky national fruit of Singapore. It makes the smelliest body odor smell mild. It's a nice ride.
When I scan my pass upon alighting (the word they use here) the bus I am charged a whole .87 (about 50 cents US). Its such a deal. I then stop at Wang's Cafe for my morning Koppi, but that's a different story....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Pick up that blood Noonan"

Vanessa said...

NO HANDS WITH LITTLE PAPERS!