Friday, June 22, 2007

Start Spreading the News....

Jeffrey - the Karaoke Cabbie

The state of the art hook up .

Last night after I arrived in Singapore, made the extremely speedy exit through passport control and customs, I headed to the taxi queue. When I got to the front of the line, the always efficient taxi masters sent me to the number 6 slot. I felt a little victory because by good fortune the 6 slot was occupied by a Mercedes taxi instead of the usual blue, yellow or white Toyota diesel. I threw my bag in the trunk and hopped in.

The driver was a very happy fellow and after asking where I was going he asked me whether I liked Karaoke. I told him that while I know it is a popular pastime in Singapore and most other Asian countries that I have never partaken. He said that it was very important and that sooner or later I would have to do it for business or for fun. I relied that in that case maybe I ought to have a signature song, just in case. He agreed.


A moment later he flipped down a small video screen in front of the passenger side sun visor. He told me that he indeed was world famous fro being the Karaoke Cabbie of Singapore! "Watch these clips", he said, "Rueters, CNN, BBC and Channel 8. All done about 8 years ago. I am known worldwide!" A second later the screen came alive and I was treated to 4 different versions of his story - Jeffrey Tan, ex Singapore Military career man, now Singapore's only singing cabbie. As I found out his taxi is equipped with state of the art karaoke gear. LCD screens in the front and back seats, a headset with a boom mike for Jefferey and a real hand mike for crooning from the back seat. http://jefflimo.tripod.com/jefflimo.htm


I watched the clips, saw women singing in his taxi and heard how he has over 2000 songs available. Thinking this was pretty cool and that maybe someday I'd hire Jefferey as a kick he asked, "Where are you from?". I told him the US and he said, "Oh - Old Blue Eyes or Elvis?". Assuming he was not referring to Elvis Costello I said, "Sinatra". Seconds later he turned around and pushed the mike into my hands pushed a few buttons and the first bars of "My Way" came out of the speakers. I wasn't drunk (or even drinking) and I wasn't really in a singing mood, let alone a mood to sing to a taxi driver, but what could I do? I started in - "And now.... the end is near ... and so I face... the final curtain..." I was shy but actually found it was kind of cool to hear my voice over the sound system. I kept going and finished the song, gaining confidence along the way. I started to get a little self conscious when I noticed a person in a car next to us staring at me with a puzzled look, but I finished the song. "Not bad", Jefferey said, "you are pretty good for your first time, lah". Before I say more he told me that he was pretty bad at first and that he practiced and now wins awards (I heard him and I doubt it). He also sings in Thai, Tagalog, Malay, Indonesian, Mandarin, English and many other languages.


Thinking I was in the clear he said, "One more!". We were almost home but what choice did I have? - - "Start spreading the news ...... I'm leaving today .... I want to be a part of it ... New York New York."


As we pulled onto Emerald Hill road and closed in on number 43 I was just wrapping up - "If I can make it there...I'll make it anywhere....It's up to you,... New York, New York" I must admit, it was fun and it only cost me $20, which is exactly what it would have cost to go in a Toyota Taxi playing really bad music on the radio.

No comments: