Sunday, January 11, 2009

Finally - a Jeepney Ride!

After dozens of trips to Manila and many great experiences from appearing on television, meeting great people, accomplishing great things for work to eating balut, the one thing I had never done was ride in a Jeepney. Jeepneys are omnipresent in Manila. Old looking beat up Jeep buses that shuttle people around town. The cost is minimal, there are no set stops and each Jeepney displays it's route painted on the side. They are each unique. Owners decorate then with the names of their wives or girlfriends, religious sayings or pictures, zodiac signs and even the names of their favorite NBA teams. It's really the people's transport.

Friday afternoon as we headed to the airport - my friend and associate Ray Soberano and his friend and driver Nestor - we pulled over, Ray and I got out of Nestor's van and waited about 1 minute for a Jeepney. We slid in though the open backside and took our place among the travellers. I looked a little out of place in my Ted Baker shirt, cuff links and black loafers. As we headed down the main drag of Sucat horns honked, motorbikes buzzed by and other Jeepneys also filled the road. Each time we pulled over someone else jumped in, paid the driver the minimal fare and off we went. Women headed home from shopping, kids on their school; lunch break and men just headed down the road got in and then later got out.

It was a great ride for me, a laugh for Ray and while I got a few puzzled looks no one really seemed to mind. Nestor followed in the van and after our ride we hopped in and he whisked me off to the airport for my flight home.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi there Mr. Tod..Its been a while, how are you guys over the east side? I had fun reading ur blogs (as always)...i was lookin for you at facebook but i cudnt. The jeepney video is funny=) keep it comin...